Monday, February 22, 2010

Learning to read

Today I started Hooked on Phonics with my 5 yr old son, I. He knows his letters by sight, but needs to learn what sounds they make. We are starting with the kindergarten set. So far it seems pretty simple. Since he doesn't know the sounds letters make yet, the program has him listen to a CD that walks him through flash cards. The flash cards have the letter and an object that begins with that letter. They go through it several times, repeating the letters and the sounds. I was surprised that it kept his attention. He still has some work to do, but I know that the program will help a lot! I am so proud of him!

4 comments:

silverhartgirl said...

I tried that program with my three year old. It was fun we listened to the cd a couple of times. Then I put it up for next year. We just were not ready for it yet. Good luck.

Annie said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog! I love phonics, it takes patience but he'll get it. Phonics is what I used to learn (not that exact program but I remember learning the sounds)

lovemylevi said...

Sweet! Keep me updated about how it goes, I was thinking of trying this in the future with Little L :-)

Teresa said...

Thanks! I don't remember how I learned phonics and reading, I just remember reading, lol.
I will let everyone know how it goes!